Are you confident you have made adequate preparations for your retirement?
These days, with increasing life expectancy and advances in healthcare it is not uncommon for people to live for twenty to thirty years after they retire. This can be more than half the time they spent working!
Ensuring adequate income for life in these circumstances requires careful planning across a wide area:
- More and more people are supplementing their pension provision with other sources of retirement income, such as savings products, investments, and even property acquisition. The tax and financial implications of such decisions are complex and require timely and expert advice.
- Then there are the questions of when you should plan to retire and how you will leave your business – whether you will pass it on to others in the family or sell it and cash out. It is wise to prepare your exit strategy well in advance and to be sure you optimise your tax position while you still have flexible options.
- Finally there are matters of life assurance provision, long-term care, and medical insurance to consider if you are concerned to maintain a good quality of life throughout your retirement.
The three keys to successful retirement planning are:
- Plan well ahead – It is never too early to start retirement planning. The earlier you start the greater your chances of achieving your objectives
- Maintain balance & flexibility – It is especially important to achieve an appropriate balance between high and low risk exposures, and to maintain flexible options with regard to instruments such as pensions, savings, investments, and insurance.
- Seek professional advice – This a very complex and continuously changing area, and we strongly recommend you seek skilled, professional advice at every step.
Our professional team can help you draw up and implement a comprehensive retirement strategy – giving you peace of mind to enjoy life to the full now and into the future.
Contact Us today to discuss how we can help you plan effectively for your retirement.
Everyone hopes to maintain the same standard of living in retirement as they presently enjoy while working, but to achieve this requires considerable forward planning. Here are some important questions you need to ask yourself:
If you are in business, the first thing you need to consider is your exit strategy. Will you withdraw from the business, leaving it for the next generation, or will you hope to sell the business? If you intend to hand the business over, do you have a workable succession plan? If you intend to sell, how will you value the business, find a suitable buyer, etc.? Are you aware of all the tax implications of the timing of disposals?
Have you made adequate pension provision, and do you have the right type of pension? Are you aware of all the pension possibilities open to business owners and directors? Are you making full use of all your allowances?
Savings and investments
Do you have the right balance between savings and investments, and between high and low risk exposures?
Life assurance and long-term care
Do you have adequate life assurance, and have you made provision for long-term care and medical insurance for you and your spouse in your later years.
We can help you answer all these questions and recommend solutions tailored to your particular needs.